Friday, March 18, 2011

Katniss Casted in The Hunger Games Movie


Yesterday the world found out that actress Jennifer Lawrence was casted as Katniss Everdeen, the incredible heroine of Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games trilogy.

The Hunger Games (HG) is my favorite book series, so as a fan I must admit I'm a little disappointed with the pick.  I haven't seen Winter's Bone, Lawrence's film that earned her an Oscar nomination.  But she just doesn't look like Katniss.  The movie's director, Gary Ross, says in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that "Jen will have dark hair in the role, but that’s something movies can easily achieve."  She will have to act her a** off to get this part right.  At 20, I think she's too old to portray Katniss.  Hopefully, she'll prove my assumptions wrong.  I really want to love the movie adaptation unlike my devastating letdown with the Twilight franchise. 

The New York Post reports that Ross said, "Katniss requires a young actress with strength, depth, complexity, tenderness, and power. There are very few people alive who can bring that to a role. Jen brings it in spades. She’s going to be an amazing Katniss."  I hope so.

The casting challenge will continue with finding the perfect Peeta and Gale.  I'm happy that HG author Suzanne Collins is a part of the movie process.  It'll be interesting to see the end result.  The movie is scheduled to release in March 2012.

Want more of a HG fix?  Check out the news and chatter on these links:

No comments:

Post a Comment