Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Grad School + TBR list = Lots of Summer Reading!

I'm happy to share the news that I was offered admission into an amazing graduate program at the University of Maryland!  I accepted the spot right away and now I'm preparing myself for classes in the fall.  The graduate degree I'm pursuing is a Master's in Library Science (MLS)...so that someday I'll become a librarian!  The program is completely online, which I'm thrilled about because I don't have to worry about commuting to school after work.  On top of that, I was offered an incredible scholarship!  Yay!!!  :)

Since I will be extremely busy come fall (for at least the next two years), I want to kick my leisure reading into high gear over the summer.  My TBR list is long and gets longer by the day.  My strategy for summer reading is to focus on completing as many series as I can (with a few one shot books thrown in).  Here's a list of series I might work on (I've started most of them, but will read the beginning books again to reacclimate myself with the story lines):

YA BOOKS:
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
I've only read 1 and a half books, but I own most of them so it should be easy to get through.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan 
I read the first book and saw the movie. Didn't enjoy the movie as much as I thought...it's hard for filmmakers to get books right.

Septimus Heap by Angie Sage
I loved these books!  Adorable!  I've read the first 3 books, but will start at the beginning again. Also, my blog name was partially inspired by this series....I'll explain the details in a future post.  ;)

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
I've started Eragon twice before, but never got through it.  I don't know why.  I really enjoyed the story, but put the book down at some point and once I picked it up again I had to start over from the beginning.  Let's hope third time's the charm.

Gemma Doyle by Libba Bray
Another one I started and didn't finish. (highly recommended by a friend)

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
I own 7 or 8 books and will rely on the library to fill in the rest.

Children of the Red King (a.k.a. the Charlie Bone books) by Jenny Nimmo
I have books 1 & 2, so I'd love to start this series.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The third book Mockingjay will be released in August!  This is THE BEST and most addictive series I've ever read (well, this and Harry Potter of course).  Can't wait to see what happens next.

ADULT SERIES:
Dark Days by Jocelynn Drake
I recently read (and reviewed) the first two books and hope to continue with the series.  Mira rocks!

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
My brother gave me the first book (Wizard's First Rule) at least a year ago and I still haven't read it yet.  I've been putting it off since this seems like a series I'll get addicted to and could spend the entire summer reading it all.

Wow, that's a lot of books (and I could add more titles to it)!  I'll try review around two-three books of a series at a time.  Also, I will throw in a few 1001 books and others I'm overdue to read.     

No comments:

Post a Comment