Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Waiting On Wednesday: Unraveling Isobel

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

My pick this week is...

Unraveling Isobel
by Eileen Cook
Releases on January 3, 2012
A darkly comic novel that blends paranormal mystery and romance with humor, from the author of The Eductation of Hailey Kendrick and Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood. Isobel's life is falling apart. Her mom just married some guy she met on the internet only three months before, and is moving them to his sprawling, gothic mansion off the coast of nowhere. Goodbye, best friend. Goodbye, social life. Hello, icky new stepfather, crunchy granola town, and unbelievably good-looking, officially off-limits stepbrother.

But on her first night in her new home, Isobel starts to fear that it isn't only her life that's unraveling-her sanity might be giving way too. Because either Isobel is losing her mind, just like her artist father did before her, or she's seeing ghosts. Either way, Isobel's fast on her way to being the talk of the town for all the wrong reasons.

Oooh, a contemporary YA with a splash of paranormal and a hint of romance. Sounds like fun!  I'm on a world-building dystopian kick right now and I like to throw in a contemporary YA every so often.  Unraveling Isobel seems like a cute contribution to the contemporary paranormal genre.  Plus, it's releasing in two weeks so it's not too long of a wait!

Read the first chapter on Eileen Cook's website.

I have two early favorite quotes already (and from the same paragraph): 
"I looked at my mom for confirmation. I hoped it was a joke, but instead of laughing, she was looking at Dick like a slice of chocolate cheesecake after an extended sugar-free diet."   
"The wings on both sides were covered in ivy. Not in a nice Big Ten-campus sort of way, but more like a wild-jungle-vine-gone-rabid kind of way."  (As an alum for a Big Ten school...love it!)
Enter the book giveaway on Goodreads.  Unraveling Isobel on Amazon and GoodReads.

What book are you waiting on? 

5 comments:

  1. Wow I haven't heard of this one before and it comes out Jan 3rd? I'm going to have to check it out! It sounds really good! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen this book around and it looks and sounds fantastic. i really want to read it too. great pick :)

    check out my WoW.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice! I really enjoyed this one, it constantly intriguing :)

    Check out my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. new follower :)

    This book sounds awesome and I will have to check it out!

    Check out my waiting on Wednesday and happy reading!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday-24-wrecked.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower. Very nice choice. Been seeing this on a lot of blogs. Come visit me as well.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog

    ReplyDelete